(Editor’s note: Sports5.ph looks back at the top sports moments of 2016 with our Year in Review yearender series. The good, the bad, the ugly – it’s all here. Thanks for reading us and we hope you enjoyed our 2016 editorial content. Here’s to an exciting 2017!)
Our digital coverage of major sports events in 2016 was unlike no other. Aside from capturing the usual heart-stopping moments from the PBA and the PSL, we also had the privilege of covering international events like the Rio Olympics, the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament, and two international volleyball tournaments. But which of our sports videos resonated the most with our audience? Here’s our countdown of the 10 most-viewed Sports5.ph videos for 2016:
10. Barangay Ginebra celebrates the Governors’ Cup championship (around 265,000 views)
It was a moment last seen eight years ago: Ginebra players and coaches dosing themselves in champagne after winning a PBA title. PBA courtside reporter got her baptism of fire as she bravely navigated through the raucous locker room to interview the jubilant Kings.
9. Ivan Johnson gets ejected (nearly 283,000 views)
It started out as a rather ordinary mid-February Commissioner’s Cup game between sister teams Meralco and TNT. But it ended with volatile TNT import Ivan Johnson getting thrown out for disrespecting the officials. By the time the game was over, PBA Commissioner Chito Narvasa had banned Johnson from the league, although the ban was later reduced to the rest of the season.
8. The USA captures the men’s basketball gold medal over Serbia (around 291,000 views)
The star-studded American team featuring Carmelo Anthony, Klay Thompson, and Kyrie Irving waltzed to the gold medal in Rio, including a lopsided win over surprise finalists Serbia, but that didn’t stop viewers from checking out the highlights.
7. Chaos in Cuneta between Ginebra and Rain or Shine (nearly 302,000 views)
The Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals clash between crowd favorite Ginebra and eventual champion Rain or Shine was bound to be physical, as this Game 1 altercation showed.
6. The USA gets a scare from Serbia in the group stage (nearly 328,000 views)
The Americans may have routed Serbia in the gold medal match, but this wasn’t the case when the two teams first met in the group stage in Rio. The Serbians hung around and fought hard, and the outcome came down to the last shot.
5. Justin Brownlee wins it for Ginebra (nearly 629,000 views)
“Mercado with the ball, naghahanap ng papasahan. Brownlee and tumanggap. He lets fly….”
4. Rey Guevarra wins the PBA All-Star Weekend Slam Dunk Challenge (nearly 635,000 views)
Chris Newsome came up with some pretty innovative jams, including an entertaining juggling act, but in the end the judges went with multiple champion Rey Guevarra.
3. Terrence Romeo captures the Three-Point Shootout crown (nearly 698,000 views)
One of the league’s most exciting players showed off his shooting prowess by winning his first-ever Three-Point Shootout title.
2. Ginebra and Meralco battle down to the wire in the fourth quarter of Game 6 (over 835,000 views)
The very last quarter of the 2016 PBA season went down to the very last shot of the 2016 PBA season, which explains why fans kept on re-living it online.
1. Hidilyn Diaz captures a silver medal (over 846,000 views)
The live telecast of our first Olympic medal in 20 years took place in the wee hours of the morning, when most of the country was still asleep. Filipino woke up to this inspiring bit of news, and immediately started searching for highlights of this record-breaking feat by this young lass from Zamboanga.
MORE YEARENDER CONTENT: