Newly crowned WBC Youth Intercontinental lightweight champion Romero “Ruthless” Duno of Sanman Promotions has signed up with the Golden Boy Promotions of former world champion Oscar De La Hoya in Los Angeles.
“We have signed a multi-year promotional deal with Golden Boy Promotions. We feel and trust that they are best company who can guide Duno to his ultimate dream,” said Sanman Promotions CEO Jim Claude Manangquil of General Santos City.
“We saw Romero’s power in the ring he is the real deal,” said Golden Boy Promotions Chairman and CEO Oscar De La Hoya.
“He has exceptional power, along with the talent and desire to be a great fighter. He could be the next big boxing star from the Philippines as time is on his side, and I’m pleased he chose Golden Boy to introduce him to a wider audience in the U.S.”
Duno (13-1, 12 KOs) previously saw action in the ring at the March 10 edition of LA FIGHT CLUB where he scored a second round knockout of Christian “Chimpa” Gonzalez (16-1, 14 KOs) to claim the WBC Youth Intercontinental Lightweight title in his U.S. debut before a sold out crowd at the Belasco Theater.
“I am very thankful to Golden Boy Promotions for giving me a chance to showcase my talent on the big stage,” said Duno. “I also want to thank my team Sanman Boxing for believing in me. I still can’t believe that this is happening to me. God is good.”
At just the age of 21, Duno has accumulated an impressive record that represents his speed and skill as a knockout artist with three of his last four wins coming by way of stoppage.
Having turned pro in July 2014, Duno has fought only twice outside of the Phillipines: Russia in May 2016 where he experienced his first career loss and March 2017 at the Belasco Theater in Los Angeles.
Duno received a hero’s welcome when he returned home to the Philippines from Los Angeles on March 22, with hundreds greeting and cheering him at the airport.